Chances of Beating a DUI in Utah
If you’ve recently been arrested for drunk driving in the state of Utah, you may be wondering how to beat your charge or if it’s even possible to do so. Just because you were arrested for a DUI, does not automatically mean you’ll be convicted of the crime. In fact, there are several ways to beat a DUI with a proper defense strategy. The chances of beating a DUI will depend on the unique circumstances surrounding your case. Hiring an experienced DUI defense attorney to represent you will improve the odds of having your charges reduced or dropped.
Here’s a quick survey to help you find out your chances of beating your DUI in Utah:
Instructions: Please answer the following questions with a yes or no.
- Was traffic fairly busy?
- Did you walk on an “imaginary line”?
- Were you able to hold your leg up for 30 seconds?
- Was the officer unprofessional, mean, or threatening?
- Did the officer FAIL to check your mouth with a flashlight?
- Did the officer administer a Portable Breath Tester (PBT) prior to the field sobriety tests?
- Did the officer tell you to blow “hard” into the Intoxilyzer?
- Did the officer threaten you with jail if you did not blow?
- Did the officer stop you for a “bogus” traffic infraction?
- Was there more than one officer/police car during the tests?
- Did the officer ask you to get out of your car almost immediately?
- Did you perform the tests in poor/cold weather?
- Did you do test with boots having more than a 2 inch heel?
- Was there a passenger in the car who observed the tests?
- Is this your first DUI arrest?
- Was the reason given for the stop slight or petty?
- Did they take only a breath test?
- Did the officer keep his rotating red and blue lights on?
- Were other officers at the scene while you were doing the field tests?
- Did the officer allow a passenger to drive your vehicle away or did they impound it?
Scoring Your Survey Results
How many questions did you answer yes to? Total up the number of times you answered yes to the survey questions above and compare your results below.
- 2-5 questions answered yes = poor to fair chances of beating your DUI
- 6-10 questions answered yes = good chances of beating your DUI
- 11-15 questions answered yes = very good chances of beating your DUI
- 16+ questions answered yes = excellent chances of beating your DUI
Beating a DUI in Utah is Possible
Regardless of what your survey results were, there’s always a chance to beat a DUI. Too many people just give up when facing a DUI charge without ever even speaking to a defense attorney for expert advice. Don’t give up! The truth is that most DUIs, especially first offenses, can be significantly reduced or eliminated entirely with the help of a trained Utah DUI attorney.
Utah DUI laws are unlike anywhere else. Only Utah uses their Intoxilyzers with a single breath test rather than two tests, performed twenty minutes apart and within .020 of each other. Only Utah will allow you to become alcohol restricted without informing you of the ramifications. If you plead guilty, the judge will not go “easier” on you. If you force the case to trial, the judge can not punish you more. The DUI penalties in Utah are statutory and pre-set, so you can’t make the maximum sentencing any worse. Do not make the state’s job easier by accepting defeat, because it has absolutely NO benefit for you. Contact a DUI defense attorney that will fight to get your case dismissed!